Celebrity trainer Ben Bruno has stated before that he relies largely on basics when programming his workouts, but every so often he’ll throw in some wild variation just for fun. That’s just what he did during a recent session with basketball pro-Bradley Beal; he said that he believes the Washington Wizards center has “the strongest abs of anyone in the NBA,” and put that core strength to the test with a series of unconventional exercises.
The first is the Copenhagen side plank press-out, which challenges the core and adductors. “When performing this move, try doing it from the elbow rather than from hand,” advises Men’s Health fitness director Ebenezer Samuel C.S.C.S. “This will put less pressure on the shoulder and elbow.
Next is the off-bench oblique press-out, a “badass exercise” and one of Bruno’s favorites. “Very few people can raise their arms overhead as Brad is doing here, so start by pressing straight out at first, and don’t hold a weight,” he says. “Trust me, it’s plenty tough with just your arms.” Before attempting this slightly cumbersome exercise, Samuel suggests working on mastering the standard Pallof press first.
Beal also performs lateral leg raises, which target the obliques, and the bottoms up B-sit press. “Holding the kettlebell upside down increases the stability demands for both the core and the shoulders,” says Bruno. We’d recommend doing a standard bottoms-up kettlebell shoulder press from a standing position.
“Good athletes make trainers look good, but training Brad is most of the easiest jobs in the world,” says Bruno. “I show him one half-ass demo and then he immediately does it better than me and makes it look easy. Super impressive stuff. I can’t wait for basketball to start back up!”
You Might Also Like
- $5.95 Ground Shipping On Any Purchase In The US! – Shop Now!
- Introducing 7-DAY CLEANSE by NU-TEK Nutrition®. This convenient yet potent cleanse features concentrated amounts of key herbs and botanicals! No bitter-tasting juices or bad-tasting powders
- Give your connective tissues some love with REJUVIX JOINT™ by Xcelerated Performance Products®
- This Workout Torches Fat in Under 10 Minutes
- How to Cool Down After Your Hardest Workouts
- What’s the Deal With Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss?