Pushups Exercises are beneficial and important for building upper body strength. They work the triceps, pectoral muscles, and shoulders. When done with proper form, they can also strengthen the lower back and core by engaging (pulling in) the abdominal muscles.
For the best results, continue to add variety to the types of pushups you do. You can also follow a “pushup challenge“ where you gradually increase the number of pushups each week. You can work up to doing 100 reps in two months.
Table of Contents
How To Unlock Your Push Up Strength
1 – Set Up
Two things should happen at the bottom of your push-up:
- Your forearms are on top of your wrists in a straight, vertical line
- Elbows tucked to 45 to 60-degree angle
This will help unlock many muscles that, in turn, can maximize your strength as you push, explains Ethier.
2 – Stabilisation
Improve your push-up strength by avoiding energy leaks. How?
- Push your knuckles down into the floor and spread your hands to create space between your fingers.
- Slide your shoulders down and away from your ears to activate the lats.
- Open your shoulder blades by pushing the floor away slightly.
- Tuck your tailbone to stabilize your hips and squeeze your thighs really hard to fully extend the leg.
3 – Execution
Use your back muscles to “pull” yourself from the floor. Your body will travel forward slightly to do so to keep your elbows over the wrists.
Once your reach the bottom position, push away from the floor all the way to the top to open the shoulder blades again.
Maintain a straight line between your head, shoulders, hips, and feet as you work through your reps.
4 – Modifications
If you can’t do more than 10 good push-ups in a row, you should think about modifying your training to build and increase your strength.
There are some good options:
As your strength improves, lower the amount of assistance you receive.
If you have mastered the push-up and can do 20+ reps clean, modifying the exercise to making it harder can be more effective for strength improvements. Try the following modifications:
- Slow down the reps
- Incorporate a 1-second pause at the bottom position
- Banded push-ups
- Save up to 70% on Vitamins & Supplements at eVitamins.com!
- $5.95 Ground Shipping On Any Purchase In The US! – Shop Now!
- Check out our new Strength & Lean Muscle Stack!